Tasks of the Working Group on Public Debt include the following:
- Prepare and publish guidelines and other materials for use by SAIs to encourage the proper reporting and sound management of public debt;
- Identify key issues for the development of responsibilities and procedures for auditing and evaluating public debt commitments;
- Prepare papers examining matters of definitions, reporting, and evaluating public debt;
- Exchange knowledge with other institutions dealing with public debt issues;
- Promote specific studies relating to the mandate of the Working Group.
The Working Group on Public Debt also has the permanent collaboration of the INTOSAI Development Initiative (IDI).